Deadline: 13 October 2023
We invite applications from outstanding individuals in thirteen eligible Southern African countries to participate in making decisions about grant allocations by the Other Foundation.
The thirteen eligible countries from which peer reviewers may apply are Angola, Botswana, eSwatini, Lesotho, Madagascar, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Seychelles, South Africa, Zambia, and Zimbabwe.
The first step to apply to be a peer reviewer is to read the guidelines for applications (Guideline G4). Applications must be submitted by email, using the format provided by the Other Foundation (Form G2).
Candidates who have experience in the following areas of work are especially (though not exclusively) encouraged to apply:
- Development of national-level and/or multi-country advocacy initiatives amongst intersex, lesbian, and transgender groups in southern Africa, including with allies in the mass media, religious organizations, business, government, cultural and traditional leadership, and amongst parents and families of LGBTI activists.
- Development of joined-up multi-country advocacy campaigns, and hard-hitting public advocacy actions, with strategically targeted allies to reduce discrimination and harm to LGBTI people and that protects the human rights of LGBTI citizens, especially in relation to medically unnecessary genital surgery on intersex infants, violence and rape of black lesbian women and visibly gender non-conforming LGBTI people, and legal gender recognition for trans and gender diverse citizens.
- Initiatives that address discrimination and violence specifically towards lesbian women and transgender and intersex people.
- Initiatives that give public voice to parents of LGBTI people as advocacy champions for the freedom, equality, and social and economic inclusion of LGBTI people.
- Engagement with religious organizations about the equal human dignity, safety and social inclusion of LGBTI people.
- Direct and indirect engagement of traditional and cultural leaders about the equal human dignity, safety, and social inclusion of LGBTI people.
- Advancing the economic participation of LGBTI people through the development of LGBTI-owned small businesses, and practices on diversity, equity and inclusion from an LGBTI perspective such as corporate supply chain diversity, the development of workplace LGBTI affinity groups, work with labour unions to promote workplace diversity and inclusion, and research that helps to improve company practices on diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Advocacy campaigns that address harmful social attitudes or public policies and laws that discriminate against LGBTI people.
- Initiatives that challenge harmful narratives and stereotypes about LGBTI people and that foster acceptance of LGBTI people by the public at large.
- Philanthropy development to support activism for LGBTI equality and social inclusion.
The Foundation has a particular interest in attracting peer reviewers who have:
- Started new initiatives or developed new alliances with other LGBTI organizations and/or allies outside the LGBTI movement, especially in campaign-type advocacy;
- Collaborated with other non-LGBTI civil society organizations and/or directly engaged with policymakers and private businesses; and
- Developed new knowledge by doing primary research or using data that has already been generated.
All peer reviewers must be available for a three-day regional workshop that will be held in Johannesburg, South Africa from 6 to 8 November 2023. The peer reviewer’s role is a voluntary, non-paid position. The Other Foundation will cover all expenses for participation in the peer review workshop.
A selection panel will review all the applications for peer reviewers. In making final decisions about the selection of peer reviewers, the selection panel will be guided by the necessary geographic, gender identity, sexual orientation, skills, sectorial and other demographic criteria that will ensure a good mix of knowledge, networks, and perspectives in the peer review panel.
Decisions about successful applicants will be announced within a week of the closing date for applications.
How to Apply
Download the application form here.
Late applications will not be accepted.
Submit your application by email to email@example.com.
Do not send any appendices or attachments other than this application form and your curriculum vitae. Applications submitted by fax or post or in any other way will not be accepted.