Deadline: 08 November, 2023
Purpose of the Consultancy
The objective of documenting the story of African feminist philanthropy is to highlight the transformative power of African feminist and women’s funds in promoting the strength, power and transformative social justice agendas of the feminist movement. Through the exploration of lessons and insights from African feminist philanthropy, our aim is to showcase and amplify the impact and effectiveness it has on the feminist and women’s rights movements it serves. The process will also contribute to the narrative and evidence-building efforts in re-imagining Pan-African and Feminist Philanthropies. By doing so, we seek to uplift African feminist narratives and increase resourcing for gender justice through the African Feminist Philanthropic Ecosystem.
A comprehensive report that provides a Mapping and Assessment of the Context of African Feminist Philanthropy, Feminist and Women’s Funds, Networks, and Platforms, and Their Role in Shaping and Spearheading philanthropic responses to gender inequities on the continent. Specifically, the report should:
a. capture and evaluate the herstorical, social, and cultural contexts surrounding African feminist philanthropy;
b. unpack the political, economic, and social factors that have influenced African feminist philanthropy;
c. provide an in-depth analysis of the role, strategies, and impact of African feminist and women’s funds;
d. document the networks and platforms that have been instrumental in spearheading philanthropic efforts in Africa, showcasing their initiatives, collaborations and impact on the African feminist philanthropic ecosystem. e. Contains a collection of interviews and personal narratives profiling the initiatives and individuals who have been instrumental in advancing African feminist philanthropy.
In collaboration with the AWDF Partnership and Philanthropy team and strategic partners, the consultant(s) will incorporate the following elements into documenting the story of African feminist philanthropy:
- Interviews, focus group discussions and surveys:
- Case Studies
- Synthesis and Reporting
Key Pathways to Document the Story of African Feminist Philanthropy
Documenting the story of African feminist philanthropy is a significant undertaking that requires a systematic approach to ensure thoroughness and clarity, allowing for a comprehensive exploration of the subject matter. This knowledge product should highlight each of the below elements:
- Mapping and Assessing the Context of African Feminist Philanthropy
- Individual Initiatives That Have Shaped African Feminist Philanthropy
- Feminist and Women’s Funds and their Role in Shaping African Feminist
- Networks and Platforms that spearhead philanthropic efforts within the continent.
Consultant’s profile and qualifications:
AWDF seeks a consultant(s) with a deep understanding of African feminism and the African and/or gender justice philanthropic ecosystem.
- The consultant/s should hold an Advanced university degree in International Relations, Communications, Strategic Management and/or any related degree.
- Existing knowledge of key actors, initiatives, and networks within African feminism and the African and/or gender justice philanthropic ecosystem.
- Existing networks/relationships within the African and/or gender justice philanthropic ecosystem.
- Proficiency in qualitative and quantitative research methods
- Proven experience in documenting narratives, stories, and initiatives related to gender justice and philanthropy.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should email Chandapiwa Olesego Sisila at email@example.com with a brief technical proposal, financial proposal, CV, and/or an overview of previous experiences in a similar capacity. Please use the subject line ‘Consultancy: Documenting the story of African feminist philanthropy’.