Deadline: 1st August 2020.
The Red Umbrella Fund’s vision, mission and operating principles guide our strategies and operations. Our strategic plan details our theory of change and priorities for the coming years. You can access it here.
Societies uphold and respect the health, human, and labor rights and self-determination of sex workers of all genders.
To strengthen and ensure the sustainability of the global sex workers’ rights movement by catalyzing new funding specifically for sex worker-led organizations and national and regional (international) networks.
Values and operating principles
- Red Umbrella Fund recognizes the self-determination of sex workers.
- Red Umbrella Fund believes that sex workers must be at the heart of the design, implementation, and evaluation of programs.
- Red Umbrella Fund opposes criminalization, legal oppression, and all other forms of stigma and discrimination against sex work and recognizes that sex work is work.
- Red Umbrella Fund embraces the gender, sexuality, and all other types of diversity of sex workers.
- Red Umbrella Fund commits to learning and using what we learn to inform our interventions and demonstrate the value of working collaboratively.
- Red Umbrella Fund commits to supporting actions that catalyze advocacy for rights-based policies, laws, and practices that are based on evidence of what works, as analyzed from sex workers’ perspectives.
- Red Umbrella Fund commits to advocacy and funding processes that are transparent and accountable.
The Red Umbrella Fund provides funding to sex worker-led organizations and networks that are:
- based in any country in the world;
- registered or unregistered;
- led by women, men, and/or trans.
If you wish to apply, your group, organization or network must fulfill each of the following three criteria:
1. Be led by sex workers for the
benefit of sex workers.
2. Be committed to connect to and strengthen the sex workers’ rights movement
3. Agree with all the principles of the Red Umbrella Fund.
Red Umbrella Fund does NOT fund:
- Organizations that are not led by sex workers;
- Organizations that have a project or program with or for sex workers, while the organization as a whole has a broader focus;
- Organizations that seek to abolish or criminalize sex work;
- Organizations exclusively providing social or medical services;
- Organizations founded by or structurally dependent on political parties, government agencies or religious institutions;
- Business, credit programs or income-generating activities;
- Academic research;
- Individual requests.
What kind of grants does the Red Umbrella Fund give?
The Red Umbrella Fund provides flexible core funding to support the general coordination, functioning, and strengthening of a group, organization, or network and its members. Core funding can be used to cover expenses such as registration costs, rent, salaries, advocacy, (peer-led) capacity building, membership meetings, networking activities, etc. Our funding is flexible in that it may be used and adjusted largely according to the self-identified needs of the grantee. Our grants are not meant solely for project-based activities.
How much funding can be requested?
The Red Umbrella Fund currently provides two-year grants of between €8.000 and €80.000. Please be realistic in your request and do not automatically request the maximum amount.
More details and tips in the 2020 Application Guidelines.
You may work offline, using these forms, but only applications submitted through the online system will be eligible for grants.
Download the 2020 Application Form here:
Check the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) here.