Contract: Fixed Term Contract – 5 Year
Closing date: 20 March 2020
Location: Bujumbura, Burundi
ActionAid is a Global Federation working to end poverty and injustice with thousands of communities and millions of people across the planet….
ActionAid International is looking for a committed and inspirational leader who combines a passion for social justice with proven experience in successfully leading and managing a development program, particularly through a transformative change process.
ActionAid International in Burundi started its operations as a humanitarian response program in 1986 in Ruyigi Province. The organization has since evolved to become a respected actor in the country. Our program in Burundi is based on our Human Rights-Based Approach to development with Women’s Rights enshrined as a priority across all our work. Deliberately taking sides with people living in poverty and exclusion, the program is anchored on three broad themes: Women’s Land Rights, Governance and Accountability, Resilient Livelihoods and Humanitarian Preparedness.
Reporting to the Head of Country Support, the Country Director will inspire and provide strategic leadership as well as guidance. in delivering the organization’s mandate in line with our values and established policies. This is an exciting leadership position that offers a platform to pursue Social Justice.
Qualification & Experience
- The ideal candidate should have a degree either in social sciences, development studies or any other relevant discipline coupled with 5-10 years of management experience in a progressive development organization
- Proven ability to lead and develop the capacities of diverse and multi‐disciplinary professional teams.
- Strong analytical, problem solving and risk management skills.
- Sound awareness of the political and socio-economic environment in Burundi, the Great Lakes Region and the influences from within Africa and globally.
- A futuristic and successful change leader, able to steer the country through complex change processes while tactfully managing and carrying staff along.
- An innovative and strategic thinker with up to date knowledge of the human rights-based approach methodologies and techniques including demonstrated expertise in at least one specialist development field.
- Experience in external engagements, networking, working with social movements, youth and feminist led movements
- Exceptional fund-raising skills with knowledge of the donor landscape in the Great Lakes region in general and Burundi in particular.
- Proven experience in financial management and financial control and management systems.
- Excellent negotiation and communication skills, including demonstrated ability to handle sensitive diplomatic and Government level negotiations on matters affecting ActionAid and civil society in Burundi.
- Bilingual with strong oral and written skills in both English and French. Knowledge of Kirundi and or Kiswahili is highly advantageous.
- A feminist leader with a strong commitment to promoting ActionAid’s safeguarding policies.
How to Apply.
Interested individuals should apply Here.
Submission should be made by 20th March 2020
ActionAid International welcomes applications from all sections of the community and strives to promote diversity. All applications will be considered on their individual merit. An attractive compensation package will be offered to the successful candidate. Suitably qualified women are highly encouraged to apply. For more information on the role refer to the role profile
Due to the high volumes of applications received, we will only correspond with shortlisted applicants.
JD – Country Director – Burundi PDF / 223.95 KB Download