Deadline: November 10, 2019
The Youth Coalition for Sexual and Reproductive Rights (YCSRR) is an international organization of young people (ages 18-29 years) committed to promoting adolescent and youth sexual and reproductive health and rights at the national, regional, and international levels. We are students, researchers, lawyers, health care professionals, educators, development workers, and most importantly, we are all dedicated activists.
Together, they work to ensure that the sexual and reproductive rights of all young people are respected, guaranteed, and promoted, and strive to secure the meaningful participation of young people in decision-making that affects their lives. They do this by advocating, generating knowledge, sharing information, building partnerships, and training young activists.
Youth Coalition is excited to open its 2020 call for applications for new members!
They are looking for young people who are passionate about sexual and reproductive health and rights and are eager to further their experience through international advocacy work.
The YCSRR relies on an active volunteer membership. Most of our work is done virtually and takes place via an interactive online platform called Podio, as well as through email and Skype. In order to be a member, you must be between the ages of 18 and 29 and support and promote their principles and values.
On the whole, the work that they do is focused on advocacy at the international level. Specifically, their members attend international conferences and meetings where they advocate for youth sexual and reproductive rights. They also develop advocacy strategies, create publications and organize training on specific issues such as abortion rights and youth participation.
YCSRR accepts members from different backgrounds, with varying skills and experiences. They accept up to two members per country. As the working language is English, members must possess advanced listening, speaking, reading, and writing English language skills.
YCSRR is a member-driven organization; time commitment and availability is key to YCSRR’s success. In addition to supporting their principles and values, they look for members who have enough time to meaningfully contribute to the work that they do (members are required to devote a minimum of 10-15 hours per week to YC activities, which includes responding to emails, contributing to online discussions and taking part in their planned activities). Previous knowledge of international-level advocacy and policy instruments (e.g. the International Conference on Population and Development Programme of Action, the Sustainable Development Goals, etc.) is considered an asset.
Youth Coalition for Sexual and Reproductive Rights recognizes the contributions and crucial perspectives that individuals from marginalized communities bring to our team. People including, but not limited to, those from the following groups are encouraged to apply: indigenous peoples; women; mothers; single parents; immigrants; protected persons/refugees; people of colour; lesbians, bisexual, gay, two-spirit, transgender, gender non-conforming, gender fluid, non-binary, agender, genderqueer, and questioning people; intersex people; people with disabilities; and those marginalized on the basis of class, caste and HIV and AIDS status.
We especially encourage applications from young people in the following countries and regions: Sub Saharan Africa, North Africa, the Middle East, Eastern, and Central Europe, Pacific region, Canada and the Caribbean. We also strongly encourage applicants who have advanced or native French-speaking abilities.
Desirable skills and competencies include:
- Demonstrated leadership experience;
- Facilitation and public speaking skills;
- Experience in information and communications technologies, graphic design.
- A human rights background (knowledge of gender justice, feminist, and anti-oppression issues preferred);
- Experience in organizing advocacy campaigns;
- Experience with local/regional/international volunteer and/or youth organizations/networks.
- Experience working remotely
- Experience in fund development including proposal writing and stakeholder engagement;
- Experience in organizational management, strategic planning, budgeting, and human resource management, designing reports;
If you are interested in becoming a member of YCSRR, please follow these steps to apply:
- Submit all documents to firstname.lastname@example.org by 23:59 EST/NYT Sunday, November 10, 2019. No late applications will be considered.
- Once your application is submitted, the membership committee will review it. Applicants who move on to the next level will be invited to participate in a Skype interview. Please note that due to the high volume of applications only applicants invited to the next stage of the recruitment process will be notified. Thank you for your understanding.
Documents to be included:
- A completed application form in English (Download the 2020 Membership Application Form);
- Your resumé or curriculum vitae in English; and
- One letter of reference from a teacher, colleague, friend, etc. (letter must be in English) describing your involvement in sexual and reproductive rights work your work in youth advocacy, and your English proficiency (if applicable).
If you have any questions about the YCSRR or the membership application process, feel free to contact us at email@example.com.