Deadline: September 18, 2018 at 10am Central Time.
About the program
What is included in the Fellowship?
- Guidance in developing a personalized Fellowship roadmap to help you get the most out of the program
- Ongoing skill-building and training courses tailored to your particular needs
- Individual coaching and mentoring to help you move your work forward
- Participation in a global cohort of leaders poised to change the civic engagement landscape
- Exposure to opportunities provided by other Foundation programming, such as mentorship roles and speaking engagements
- Participation in four gatherings (including economy airfare to/from the event, lodging, and all meals during the events)
What is the time commitment?
The Fellowship is not a full-time commitment, but active and engaged participation is key to creating a meaningful Fellowship experience. Fellows commit to:
- Participating in the full programming of the four Fellowship gatherings
- Devoting a few hours each month to ongoing training and programming
- Sharing responsibility for creating a supportive, collaborative community of Fellows
- Collaborating with the Foundation throughout the Fellowship to evaluate and refine the program for future classes
- Contributing their leadership, creativity, and voice to other Foundation programs. We’re looking for Fellows who are eager to explore the roles they can play in the broader ecosystem of the Foundation — whether serving as mentors, facilitating local trainings, or writing about their work for a wider audience.
Will Fellows be paid a stipend?
Fellows will not be paid a stipend at this time.
Do I need to move somewhere to be a Fellow?
Fellows are not asked to move anywhere to participate in the Fellowship program. However, there will be four occasions where they will be asked to travel for in-person gatherings.
What eligibility requirements does the Fellowship have?
We cannot choose applicants who are:
- Under 18
- Current participants in other Obama Foundation programming
- Candidates for a political office chosen through a partisan election, either now or during the Fellowship term
- Working for 501(c)(4) or 501(c)(6) organizations
For more information on our eligibility requirements, please participate in our Eligibility Quiz.
About the application process
What is the timeline for the 2019 Fellowship selection?
Applications opened at 10am Central Time (CT) on Tuesday, August 21st and close at 10am CT on Tuesday, September 18th.
When will the 2019 Fellows class be announced?
We will announce the next class of Fellows in early 2019.
How often do you accept applications?
We will select a Fellowship class every year.
If I’m not chosen, can I apply again during a future round?
Absolutely! We’d be happy to review later applications from applicants who have advanced their work.