TGEU is looking for eight part-time (32h per month) Regional Coordinators for an initial period of 12 months starting as of May 2018. The coordinators will mainly work remotely, and must be based in any of the countries within their region with good Internet connection.
The regions are divided as follows:
- Asia (2 Regional coordinators)
- Latin America and the Caribbean (2 Regional coordinators)
- Africa (2 Regional coordinators)
- Pacific (1 Regional coordinator)
- Eastern Europe and Central Asia (1 Regional coordinator)
In order to increase representation and expertise in our work, we encourage trans people, Black and indigenous people and people of colour, D/deaf and disabled people, people with a migration background, sex workers, and trans women and gender-diverse people to apply. We support applicants to mention their background and experiences in their application, and we guarantee that all information will be held confidentially.
Transgender Europe (TGEU) is a trans-led member organisation working for the rights of trans people and supporting trans communities across Europe and Central Asia. The network has more than 100 member organisations in 42 countries.
Transrespect versus Transphobia Worldwide (TvT) is a comparative qualitative-quantitative research project that seeks to provide an overview of the human rights situation of trans and gender-diverse people in different parts of the world and to develop useful data and advocacy tools for international institutions, human rights organisations, the trans movement, and the general public. It includes the Trans Murder Monitoring (TMM) and the Legal and Social Mapping (LSM).
TGEU is looking for eight part-time (32h per month) Regional Coordinators for an initial period of 12 months starting as of May 2018. The coordinators will mainly work remotely, and should be based in any of the countries within their region. Reliable Internet connection required.
Responsibilities of this role:
First stage (2018)
- Assist in the redevelopment of research materials for the TvT project, including indicators, questionnaires, data presentation and analysis
- Coordinate and consult with local and regional trans communities and organisations on the research restructuring process
- Participate on a meeting prior to the 7th European Transgender Council and the Council itself (26 June – 1 July)
Second stage (2019)
- Collect and organise regional data on the legal and social situation of trans and gender-diverse people, in collaboration with networks, organisations, and activists in the region
- Collect and organise regional data on the murders of trans and gender-diverse people, in collaboration with networks, organisations, and activists across the region
- Participate in 1 monthly team online call (schedule to be determined jointly)
- Communicate in a clear and timely manner with the TvT team in either English or Spanish
- Contribute to the development of project reports and publications
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for activists who are well-connected to trans and gender-diverse communities in their regions and have been involved in trans organising regionally.
Ideal candidates have experience with and/or knowledge of:
- Research in the Global South, preferably with a trans focus
- Activism in trans and/or human rights related fields
- Community organising
- Anti-oppressive and anti-colonial approaches
Important skills needed:
- Ability to communicate well in English or Spanish
- In addition, good knowledge of the following languages are desirable:
- Spanish, Portuguese, and/or English for LAC Regional Coordinators (at minimum 1 Spanish and Portuguese speaker and 1 English speaker will be hired, if possible)
- Arabic and/or French for African Regional Coordinators (at minimum 1 French speaker and 1 Arabic speaker will be hired, if possible)
- Chinese Mandarin and/or English for Asian Regional Coordinators (at minimum 1 Chinese Mandarin speaker will be hired, if possible; skills in Hindi, Urdu, Bahasa Malay, or Bahasa Indonesian are a strong asset)
- English for Pacific Regional Coordinator
- Russian for EECA Regional Coordinator
- Well-connected with the trans and gender-diverse movement in their region
- Able to self-motivate and work with remote supervision
- Good organisational skills
- Have an open-minded, critical, and flexible attitude
- Able to deal with stressful situations and information
- Familiar with intercultural and international approaches to research
- Comfortable working both in diverse teams and independently
Other skills that would be useful in this role but are not a must:
- Experience in developing partnerships and networking
- Knowledge of other regionally-used languages not listed above
- Knowledge of the international human rights framework
What do we offer?
- Compensation of 80€ per day for 4 days or 32 hours per month for an initial period of 12 months starting as of May 2018
- Participation on a meeting prior to the 7th European Transgender Council and the Council itself (26 June – 1 July)
- A motivated and diverse team of trans activists from all over the world
- Work remotely from current location
- Limited mental health support
If you need the application form in another format, please contact us at email@example.com