Deadline: 31 October 2017
The Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA) in partnership with the African Union is implementing the 2017 Edition of the “Kwame Nkrumah Regional Scientific Awards for Women” to promote the participation of women in science and technology across the continent.
The award programme contributes to the promotion of Africa and regional development and integration through science, technology and innovation.
- To award and honour outstanding African Scientists for their scientific achievements and discoveries.
- Promote scientific development in Africa through recognition of excellence among African scientists, women, men alike and younger researchers and encourage them to persevere in their research or academic careers, and nurture their ambitions.
- Popularize and Promote public understanding and participation in the implementation of Africa’s Science and Technology Consolidated Plan of Action (CPA) and AU Assembly decisions on science and technology.
- Raise the profile of science and technology sector in African Union Member States, Regional Economic Communities and so that science contributes Africa’s sustainable development, povertyalleviation and integration efforts.
The awards to be covered under this scheme are:
- AU-TWAS National Young Scientists Award at the National Level
- Target Group: Young Scientists/Researchers
- Value/Sector: USD 5,000
- African Union Regional Women Scientists Award at the AU Regional Level
- Target Group: Women Scientists
- Value/Sector: USD 20,000
- Continental Scientific Award at the continental level
- Target Group: All Pioneer Scientists
- Value/Sector: USD 100,000
- The African Union Scientific Awards will be awarded to African scientists who have remarkable achievements, demonstrated by number of publications, number of research graduate students, applicability of the scientific work to Africa’s challenges, and its patentability.
- Only nationals of the African Union (AU) Member States are eligible to participate in these Awards.
- For the African Union Regional Scientific Award for Women, applicants should have intensively published at least ten (10) SCI publications.
- For the Continental applicants should have at least twenty (20) SCI publications.
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted at the address given on the website.
Eligible Countries: Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cape Verde, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo, Republic of the Congo, Democratic Republic of the, Cote d’Ivorie, Djibouti, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Western Sahara.